Sunday, August 05, 2007

Muzzik

I was never a big music fan and despite some of my friends being the most accomplished musicians in the insti, I don't know how to play even a single instrument (save blowing my trumpet). But this philistine attitude of mine didn't prevent songs from leaving indelible impressions on my mind. On hearing certain songs, I am transported back in time, because of of these songs was associated with a particular phase/incident of my life. And repeatedly listening to those songs at that period probably caused permanent damage to my brain! Some songs which I can recall are:

  • Random kiddy songs : early childhood, when I had lots of tapes with songs/stories for children.
  • Bhajans: Ram chandra kah gaye siya se ... These words bring back shivering cold, foggy mornings of Delhi. The driver of the school bus used to put them on in the morning. For some reason, I cannot recollect him playing this tape in the summer mornings.
  • Songs from Taal : Remind me of a trip to Haridwar. Kept playing the tape over and over again, for a period of 3-4 days.
  • Songs from Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai : Torrid summer months of 2000, which were spent going to FIITJEE. This movie seemed to find flavour with loads of bus drivers. Special mention: Dul Hum Le Jaayenge - A movie starring Salman and Karishma.
  • Dil Chahta Hai and Lagaan: First few weeks of first sem in IIT. Listening to these songs brings back memories of the hot summer months, when I would come back to my room from the insti, passing through A-Parallel where the songs would be blaring.
  • Raaz and Filhaal: The winter months of the aforementioned sem. Laddu Singh played these again and again, day in and day out. There was a time when I knew the lyrics of Jo bhi Kasme Khai Thi by heart. Fortunately, that evil time has passed.
After this point, lots of ppl got PCs and everyone had their own choice of music. No longer were people forced to listen to the latest Hindi movie songs as the LAN had come to their rescue. Recently, with the popularity of Himmesh, all songs have started sounding pretty much the same too (oooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu huzoooooooooooooor).

Commentors are welcome to reply with songs which were popular at other points of time the hostel.

3 Comments:

Blogger Atish said...

Continuing on the L's exploits.. 3rd Sem , January .. the wake up alarm for the entire wing.. 'Papa Ki Pari Hoon Main'.. another classic !

Pahal's 'looping' rendition of 'Punjab' by Karunesh

Final Year... Atif Aslam's haunting voice...

P.S. Music is my religion and Hemu is my GOD... Hail the power of the HR....ooooooooooooonnn huzoooooooooor

12:04 am  
Blogger sunny said...

Wat the hell beeny....I thought u loved those songs!!!

Anyways,
"Tera suroor", "Naam hai tera", "Samjho na" reminds me of deepu's room, those daru/sutta nights!

3:01 am  
Blogger Atish said...

3rd Year i meant :)

11:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home